95.3 / 88.5 FM Grand Rapids and 95.3 FM Muskegon
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Local doctor announces candidacy for Congress in Michigan's 2nd district

doc_rob.jpg

A local emergency room Doctor has announced his candidacy for Congress in Michigan's 2nd District. Dr. Robert Davidson, an emergency room doctor for 16 years in West Michigan, will be hoping to win the seat currently held by Representative Bill Huizenga. Davidson says he didn’t have political aspirations until he attended a town hall hosted by Huizenga, but it was there that he and the Congressman would get into a lengthy debate in front of a packed audience about Trump’s American Health Care Act.

“Well I think what’s wrong with it is it’s fundamentally a tax cut disguised as a health care bill,” Davidson said.

Huizenga eventually would vote in favor of the health care bill.  

After the town hall a number of people approached Davidson, saying not only did he best Huizenga in their exchange on Health Care, but the doctor should consider running against him in 2018.

“It really just snowballed in my brain and I had enough good, quality, smart, excited people behind me that made me say this is something we can do and we can actually win this district.” he said.  

WGVU reached out to Huizenga’s office for his reaction to news of a challenger in the next election. His camp issued this written statement:

“Bill was reelected by a two to one margin just 8 months ago. For now he's focused on policies to create jobs, protect life, and serve the constituents of the 2nd District. While it's no surprise a liberal candidate has announced, Bill has a job to do to and is focused on making West Michigan an even better place to live, work, and raise a family.”

The election is not until November of 2018. In the meantime Davidson said he is just beginning to hammer out his campaign. He says he plans on focusing on those who are being marginalized.

“Well, I’m running for Congress because I believe that since the last election, our country is really on the wrong track," Davidson said. "I believe that our Congress, the bills that they have been passing or have been trying to pass are really in the interests of the top 1 percent. We need a voice for the other 99 percent, and so I feel I can offer that voice and work for the people of our district.” 

Related Content