Flight diverted after fire in passenger's electronic device
Authorities say a JetBlue flight from New York to San Francisco landed in Grand Rapids after a lithium battery in a passenger's laptop apparently started a fire. No injuries were reported and the plane landed safely about 8:10 p.m. Tuesday at Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids. JetBlue says in a statement that flight 915 from John F. Kennedy Airport was diverted "following reports of smoke emitting from a carry-on bag holding an electronic device."
Passenger Kat Honniball says people aboard were "absolutely calm" as flight attendants responded. Firefighters responded at the airport as a precaution, but the airport says the fire was out by the time the plane landed.
Airport spokeswoman Tara Hernandez says the plane took off about 8:50 p.m. and continued the flight to San Francisco.